Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mardi Gras in My Mouth

What's a girl to do? There are four gorgeous, thick-cut, homegrown, T-bone steaks sitting in the fridge just begging for the grill but thanks to the persistent, nagging, hair-in-curlers, ex-wife of a wind we're experiencing here today (we're currently in a tornado watch), my grill will, alas, remain cold and barren for the evening. What can be done... I've grown weary of the same old tomato-based pasta dishes, tired old cheesy Mexican entrees, salads, and creamy soups. My mind wanders around the country looking for inspiration. North...hot dish? -- no, East Coast, crab cakes? -- naw, South, New Orleans...ding ding ding! Tonight's solution: Oven-Roasted Gumbo! It's going to be Mardi Gras in my mouth! My mission, if I choose to accept it (and I do!), is to create a roasty, toasty, smoky, deep and flavorful gumbo glorification in my teeny little oven. My shopping list includes:

Clams or Mussels (whatever my friendly neighborhood grocer has available)
Chicken
Shrimp
Celery
Bell Pepper
Onion
Andouille or other Cajun Sausage
Rice
Parsley
Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Serrano Pepper
Okra (I have some in my freezer from my Dad's last season's garden)

And I should have the rest of the base in my pantry, chicken stock, and seasonings including paprika, Cajun spice, black pepper, thyme, and garlic. My plan of attack is to make the classic gumbo roux using flour and vegetable oil on the stove top, cook the chicken and saute' the veggies, then mix everything, adding the seafood last, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then I'll remove the foil and bake for another 30, checking constantly (Thank St. Oven for the oven light feature!) for doneness. My only concern is getting the rice cooked all the way through. Wish me luck! Tomorrow I'll post my findings. This message will self-destruct in five seconds...

No comments:

Post a Comment